Raising tweens and teens can be the most challenging and also the most rewarding experience we can be part of. I have the pleasure of welcoming Colette Reilley back to talk about playful parenting. Yes, those two words can co-exist.
During this conversation, we take a deep dive into:
- Listening isn’t just about your children listening, it’s also about parents listening to their children;
- The tweens and teen years, growth, challenges and parenting through this time; and
- Helping our children embrace who they are and on the flip side, embracing who are children are.
Here are a few thought bomb takeaways:
- When we create the space for our children to get curious about their lives, their experiences and their choices, they are less likely to look elsewhere for that space;
- The tween and teen years bring about many changes for both the children and the parents, understanding these changes are normal and NOT personal makes the challenging times more understandable;
- Helping our children embrace who they are may be uncomfortable and challenging for us, that is a great opportunity to explore why and where it’s a challenge for you. It’s a time for personal growth for parents as well; and
- Our children are more okay than we may give them credit for, stand back a little, give them boundaries but make sure you also give them room to grow.
Parenting is fluid and is about connection and curiosity. If you are willing to show up and dance in the moment, and connect human to human parenting can be a wonderful thing.
To listen to this weeks episode:
Until next time: Be well. Be inspired. Be You.
To reach Colette:
Potential in Me: