You can speak well if your tongue can deliver the message of your heart.” John Ford
Who doesn’t want to feel more comfortable speaking in public?
Whether presenting to an audience, pitching to clients or networking having a clear message is really important. In this episode, I chat with public speaking coach and the owner of ‘How to Present Training and Mentoring’ – Briohny Williams.
Some of the things we talk about:
- Being grounded in your message;
- Tips for presenting;
- Public speaking isn’t just about being on stage, for entrepreneurs it about every interaction; and
- Don’t hide, you have a purpose and a message – if you are in the service-based industry you are there to serve and help others.
Here is an important thing to remember: when you are speaking to an audience they are not there to see you – they are there to hear your message. Defining and refining your message is such a valuable investment of your time and energy.
Here are a few thought bomb takeaways:
- Public speaking is much more than presenting to thousands, it’s about being clear in your message whenever you are interacting, networking, engaging with others;
- Often fear of speaking isn’t about standing up in front of others, it can be fear of showing up, of having a voice, etc. tapping into this space helps address some of the reasons you may be hesitant to engage in speaking opportunities;
- As entrepreneurs we often overthink the notion of the ‘elevator pitch’, an easy fix for this is to take a bit of time and prepare so that your message comes from a space of truth rather than a sales pitch; and finally
- I like the analogy Bri mentioned about developing the skill of public speaking is much the same as when someone is mastering a craft whether that be an athlete, a musician, etc. There is much repetition, time and activity put into mastering their craft – once they do the work tends to become more effortless and there are many more opportunities on the flip side.
Briohny has a wonderful and very engaged FB group ‘Public Speaking for Entrepreneurs’. I highly recommend you check it out.
Until next time: Be well. Be inspired. Be You.
To listen to this episode on Podbean:
To listen to this episode on iTunes:
To find out more about Briohny:
For more information on Briohny’s FB group: